Ways to help premature ejaculation

Q: Wondering what the best natural way staying away from any sort of product on the market is to best help premature ejaculation. 23 years old, male. Any sort of food or herb?

A:   There are several products in the market claiming to help with premature ejaculation however most of these products do that by decreasing anxiety associated with premature ejaculation. Also, these products are relatively new so they are not FDA-approved; ergo, I do not recommend any of these products. I will recommend, though, trying some other techniques. Controlling your anxiety or extreme excitement before or during sex might help. Try to plan what you want to do beforehand and explore foreplay. You can also try masturbating without lubrication. If this will work, then try masturbating with lubrication. Then you can probably masturbate with visual aids (adult magazines, then porn later). This gradually increasing visual stimulation will help aid in controlling your urges to ejaculate and maintain erection longer. Once you have already managed to sustain an erection, you can try the start-stop method. Try to masturbate until the time you are about to ejaculate then stop and control the ejaculation by thinking of things that are not stimulating. Another way is the squeeze method. Just when you feel you’re really close to an orgasm, you can ask your partner to squeeze the head (glans) of your penis. This will decrease the blood flow, thereby losing erection and arousal. Other ways that can help are pelvic muscle exercises (e.g. Kegel exercises). Yoga will not only help reduce anxiety but will also decrease tension in the pelvic region. It has also been studied that the missionary position (man-on-top) has more tension on the muscles and is associated more with premature ejaculation. Spooning (side-to-side), doggy position (rear entry, both on knees), and woman-on-top positions are more effective in prolonging the excitement phase and delaying the ejaculatory phase. Desensitizing creams and use of condoms may also help.There are medications, actually antidepressants, that will delay the ejaculatory phase but you need a doctor’s prescription for that. Herbal meds act in a similar way but like I said, it is not FDA-approved. I do hope I have appeased your concerns and take care always.