We recently moved into a new apartment My wife

Q: We recently moved into a new apartment. My wife had a couple of asthma attacks a few weeks ago. She hasn't had any since. My son was coughing a lot until he got a daily-use inhaler. Now he barely coughs. We do have a 3-month old cat. We previously had a cat for eight years. We cleaned some mold off the windows, use an air purifier, vacuum once a week, and shampoo the carpet once a month. With the information I have provided, do you think that they have an allergy problem, and does it sound like anything in the apartment caused her attack and his coughing?

Symptoms:  Asthma attack, coughing, wheezing

A:   Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor. We are here to help you.
Definitely there is some allergen that is causing an acute attack of Bronchitis to both of them.
In fact, any dust, mold, paint in a new apartment can act as allergen and precipitate the event.

The best way out in such cases is to get a cleaning done by professional cleaners who would clean away all the dust. Do check for dust in mattresses and woolens.

You should be getting there Chest X-Ray and Hemogram done to be sure that it's just allergic and not any infection.

If no infection is found both of them requite treatment with anti Allergic drugs like a combination of Levocetrizine and Montelukast.
In case of severe spasm nebulization would be recommended.
Just check there status. If they are coughing execssively with troubled breathing then you should take them to ER.

Otherwise anti Allergic drugs will help them a lot in reducing the coughing.
As per your details it seems both are fine now. In that case no treatment is required. You just need to clean the source of the dust. A lot many people are Allergic to cat hair also. So you need to keep a watch on that too.
Also I would advice you to be alert as you may also become a victim of the same Allergic Bronchitis.

I hope it helps.
If you have any further query, please ask me.
Stay Healthy.

Patient: Do you believe that an allergen test needs to be done in the apartment?
Doctor: If that is feasible then it's not a bad idea to get it done. However in most instances the allergen is dust that is almost always there in any apartment that has been closed for even a few days.
Good luck.