Weak knee muscles due to delayed healed of femur fracture one year ago

Patient : I broke my right femur 1 year ago in a motorbike accident and its still not healed so im going for more surgery soon but from not being able to use it much through pain etc my knee which was already weak and being treated before the accident has almost given up on me, its so weak i cant hardly walk on it now. I wanted to know can i use an electro muscle stimulator system on my knee to help improve the muscles with the metal rod and pins in my leg?
Doctor :    Due to the time of immobilization your knee muscles are weaker, first of all I suggest a reevaluation by your orthopedi ic surgeon to explore the possibility to get you into a physical therapy program aimed to strengthen the leg muscles and decide if you are candidate for external electric stimulation.