August 20, 2018

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Weakness and pain in the extremities

Weakness and pain in the extremities

Patient: Hii, I am 49 years old. My haemoglobin level is 8.6. Off late, i had started having pains in my back n limbs. I consulted a physician (who thought it is anemia and calcium deficiency), a gynacologist(i thought it may be due to menopause, but she said that is not the case) then i went to an orthopedic (as directed by the physician) he gave me a few medicines which are supposedly mineral supplements(dulife 20,evlon LC,thioceclo, tapal 50(tapentadol tab),rekool 20). But there has not been much improvement. i still have a lot of weakness, and pain. The feet esp the base and the legs pain a lot and so does the back and the feet also stay swollen. Please help me by telling me who do i consult or what can be done…? thank you

Doctor: Amongst the multiple causes of sharp pain with or without weakness, tingling and numbness of the extremities (arm-hands and leg-feet), there are: vitamin deficiencies (Vitamin B12), anemia, nerve compressions at the level of the spine, problems with the peripheral nerves of hands and feet, and metabolic causes as problems with the Thyroid gland and Diabetes. Definitely you will need an evaluation with physical and lab tests and once that your physician ruled out the vitamin deficiency, and thyroid problems, might be important to rule out some other metabolic causes as Diabetes, which can produce the symptoms that you described above.