Weakness and pain in the right ankle

Q: Hallo doctor my right ankle gives way on me when i walk short distances and it happens round the house to when it happens i get pain at the back of my right ankle i have not injuird myself in anyway and dosent hurt till it gives way on me which is causing me problems in my everyday life i broke this ankle over five years ago but the pain is not where i broke it could u tell me what this could be thanks j

A:   You have a previous history of a broken ankle, which may produce chronic pain and instability. The Chronic ankle pain might be due to a unresolved severe ankle sprain or olf ankle fractures, meaning that by the time when you had the injury, maybe you had lack of appropriate and early immobilization, lack of timely prescribed mobility and strengthening exercises, the development of scar tissue in the ligaments affected, or too much time immobilized. All these mentioned factors are cause of Chronic Ankle pain and instability. Sometimes the use of orthotics that correct the Hyperpronation of the ankle (ankle with tendency to be inwards) is useful in relieving the symptoms (pain and inflammation) in the chronic and unresolved ankle sprains. If this does not work, further evaluation, meaning local exam in terms of checking ankle stability and imaging, MRI, to see integrity of the ligaments are required to determine the right treatment option. If there are no ligamentous tears, you could still use some physical therapy treatment sessions to control pain and swelling that include: ultrasound, whirpool baths, ice and heat and active exercises to strengthening the ankle muscles, it helps also tape the ankle and begin the weight bearing progressively, as long as you do not feel pain or discomfort. But if there are ligamentous tears seen in the MRI and mayor ankle instability, then the surgery may be considered.