x
180 Physicians Online

Question:

Weather Migraines

I am a 30 year old female migraine sufferer. I have noticed over the last 5 years or so that barometric pressure changes are very often triggering migraine attacks for me. Is there any method of prevention known to help???

Answer:

Well, in the medical literature is not described the barometric pressure as a trigger for migraines, but: foods (MSG, wine, aged cheeses, chocolate), lack of sleep, excessive stress, changes in the blood flow pattern of the brain, hormonal factors. Regarding of prevention you could do the following: try not to eat foods with MSG, cheeses (especially aged), wine and chocolate; try to have frequent breaks at work, eat a lot of fruits and vegetables, do not skip meals, get a good night sleep, drink enough water during the day so you keep hydrated, exercise regular and consistently.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

Dr. Patrick Golden M.D.

• Board Certified Cardiologist
  • Founder AskTheDoctor.com
  • Practices in Fresno, CA