Wednesday noticed pimple like place on back of head close

Q: Wednesday noticed pimple like place on back of head close to neck . Popped it each day and got little pus , put antibiotic ointment on it . Swollen about size of nickel. On Saturday night hurting really bad and now size of baseball , red and hot and red all down neck. Hurt to move head . Went to dr thinking a boil that needed drained . Cut open and drained but didn't get much out at all . Packed it and face Bactrum antibiotic and Tylenol 3 for pain. It's not better . Worse . Still red and swollen and down neck , very painful . What could this be? Did culture but haven't gotten results from lab yet, what can do at home to help with pain? Returned to dr tomorrow .

Symptoms:  Red , swollen boil like area back of head - hot to touch - infected