Weight Gain with Irregular periods

Patient : I am 27 years old have always been athletic and in my designated weight class. However over the past 6-9 months I have gained a lot of weight now placing me in an obese category. I am constantly tired and I have irregular periods (confirmed I am not pregnant. I eat clean and am nutritionally sound. What is going on?
Doctor :   I do understand you concern for weight gain. It is difficult for me to say what is causing your weight gain. If health l ifestyle, diet and exercise does not help in weight loss, I would advise you to consult your doctor for a possibility of an underlying problem such as hypothyroidism and PCOS. It may also help to speak to a dietitian to assess your current diet. I hope this information helps, take care.