Weight Gain with Irregular periods

Q: I am 27 years old have always been athletic and in my designated weight class. However over the past 6-9 months I have gained a lot of weight now placing me in an obese category. I am constantly tired and I have irregular periods (confirmed I am not pregnant. I eat clean and am nutritionally sound. What is going on?

A:   I do understand you concern for weight gain. It is difficult for me to say what is causing your weight gain. If health lifestyle, diet and exercise does not help in weight loss, I would advise you to consult your doctor for a possibility of an underlying problem such as hypothyroidism and PCOS. It may also help to speak to a dietitian to assess your current diet. I hope this information helps, take care.