Weight lifting after cataract surgery

Patient

Q: I have just had cataract surgery.  The doctor is an expert in his field. he tells me that it is ok to go back to work after only 6 days. I am a mechanic and I work on heavy equipment. He says there are no restrictions. Everyone else tells me I shouldn't lift over 20 lbs for three weeks. Even the nurse before the surgery said nothing over 20lbs. I am concerned and don't want to do any damage to my eye. The every day lifting would be 50 lbs or more!

Doctor

A:   There is much debate among surgeons about the amount of physical activity permissible after cataract surgery! I suggest you err on the side of caution and avoid lifting objects over 20 lbs for at least 14 days after surgery.