x
Browse
179 Physicians Online

Question:

Weight lifting after cataract surgery

I have just had cataract surgery.  The doctor is an expert in his field. he tells me that it is ok to go back to work after only 6 days. I am a mechanic and I work on heavy equipment. He says there are no restrictions. Everyone else tells me I shouldn't lift over 20 lbs for three weeks. Even the nurse before the surgery said nothing over 20lbs. I am concerned and don't want to do any damage to my eye. The every day lifting would be 50 lbs or more!

Answer:

There is much debate among surgeons about the amount of physical activity permissible after cataract surgery! I suggest you err on the side of caution and avoid lifting objects over 20 lbs for at least 14 days after surgery.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA