Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Weight loss during pregnancy due to lifestyle change

Weight loss during pregnancy due to lifestyle change

Patient: I am a 38 year old woman who has been obese for quite a few years. Two months ago, I changed my lifestyle – started eating healthy, went from three big meals to five smaller meals, exercising regularly, switched from sodas to water. I began losing weight and have lost 40 pounds to date. I am in no way starving myself and usually consume around 1500-1800 calories per day, mostly veggies and lean meats. I feel wonderful, am not hungry, and am enjoying the exercise (aerobics and jogging). Much to my surprise, I found out at my thyroid appointment that I am about 4 weeks pregnant! Though my husband and I are thrilled with this unexpected blessing, I am confused on what to do about my new lifestyle and I can’t get an appointment with my OB until 8 weeks. Can I continue as I am or do I need to try and add enough calories so that I quit losing weight? I was eating around 3000 calories a day before I changed my eating habits and I hate to go back to junk food or eat that much as I’m satisfied with what I eat now and feel full after each meal thanks to all of the veggies. But even after a week of no exercise, I am still losing around 2 pounds a week. I want this baby to be healthy and I can’t see that going back to junk food would help, but I don’t know what to do about it. I also miss my daily exercise. I just want to make sure that continuing on with the healthy eating and exercise won’t harm my baby until I can get to the OB. So I guess my question is . . . can I continue with my healthy eating habits (around 1500-1800 calories per day of fruits, veggies, lean meats, whole grain) and daily exercise (30 minutes aerobics in the morning, 30 minutes jogging/walking in the afternoons) even though it’s causing a 2 pound weight loss each week or should I add in enough calories to hold at 240 pounds which is my current weight?

Symptoms: Steady weight loss during pregnancy in first trimester

Doctor: Hello.Thanks for contacting askthedoctor.comIt is indeed noteworthy that you have been able to reduce your weight with much determination here. Now that you are pregnant ,it is suggested that you may keep the calorie intake to 2000 calories per day in the first trimester and cut down on jogging but can go for walks. Any form of rigorous exercises to be avoided as they might cause abortions so early in pregnancy.Maintain a BMI less than 30 and that would be ideal for pregnancy as well.I hope i have answered your query in detail.wishing you safe pregnancy.regards