Weight loss for upcoming surgery

Patient: Hi there, I was uncertain what was the best topic to put this under, however I am hoping you can answer my question. I believe I have a condition known as tubular breasts, and am currently trying to gain the confidence to attend my local physician for guidance on my options. As far as I understand the only way to resolve this is through surgey. As it is having a negative impact on my mental health and wellbeing, I have heard it is possible that I may be able to get the surery done on the NHS (I am British, living in the UK) however, my query relates to the process for undergoing surgey. I am 5’8, and very broad. 26 years old and am of the understanding that for surgery to be viable, I know I will need to lose weight. My problem is knowing what is a sensible weight for someone of my build. I tend to disregard the BMI checkers as they do not take into account my build. I curently weigh somewhere between 12.5 and 13 stone, I am fully aware this is too heavy, but was hoping for some guidance on what would be considered a healthy weight for surgery? Also, whether it is based on weight, or measurements, as I appreciate people’s weight varies dependent on their muscle and fat make-up. If you could provide some clarity on this I would much appreciate it.

Doctor: As you have correctly stated, weight does affect surgical outcome. Overweight and obese patients have less favourable ou tcomes. Your BMI is approximately 27kg/m2, the normal range being between 19 and 25 kg/m2 . As you can see, it is only slightly elevated. While the BMI is not a perfect assessment tool, it is very helpful in classifying persons. So while you are overweight, you are not too overweight to have the corrective surgery which you desire. A healthy ‘weight’ for surgery would be a BMI in the normal range.