Weight Loss In A New Born

Q: My son was born on feb 10, 2012 weight 8 lbs 10 oz he left the hosp at 7lb 6oz he had a appointment yesturday he weighed 7lbs 2 oz is it something i need to worrie about

A:   Weight loss in a neonate is an issue of concern to parents, nurses and doctors. There are several theories about why neonates lose weight. The most common theory is that babies are born with extra weight to help with the stress caused by labor and the transition to extra-uterine life. Also the extra fat stores are there because mother's mature milk does not come in for 3-5 days. A weight loss of 5% in the first week of life is considered normal for the bottle fed infant. A loss of 7% is average in the first week for the breastfed infant, 10% is the absolute maximum. If the baby loses 7% in the first 72 hours, breastfeeding should be observed by a trained professional for proper technique and milk transfer. If the baby is nursing well, appears otherwise healthy, and has appropriate stooling patterns  another weight check should be scheduled in two days. As a parent you will need to monitor your child`s weight at home. If you don’t have a scale at home, you can monitor your baby’s intake of food and certain behaviors. By about week one, your newborn should be having at least 5-7 wet diapers a day and at least about 3-4 dirty diapers a day. Your baby should seem satisfied at least for a little while after feeding. Your baby should remain alert during the “awake” times and not seem overly sleepy. If you notice any of the above mentioned concerns in your child, contact your child`s doctor right away.