Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Weight Loss Surgery

Weight Loss Surgery

Patient: 30 years ago I had bariatric surgery. I lost some weight but have regained all and then some. I currently weigh 310 pounds. Is it physically possible to have surgery again – either stapling, sleeve, or band? I have Type 2 diabetes controlled by oral meds and high blood pressure, also controlled by meds.

Doctor: Depending on the type of bariatric procedure you had done, a revision may be performed to facilitate more weight loss. A nother procedure will be technically more difficult than the first and has a higher risk of developing complications.  Bariatric surgery is employed as a last resort for persons who are morbidly obese. I strongly suggest a trial of dieting and exercise after consulting your doctor and a nutritionist, before undergoing another surgery.