Weird knee feeling

Q: I just started cycling again last week after a few months. Day before yesterday my knees felt odd after the cycle session and yesterday about 30 minutes into my session I felt it again. There is no pain it just feels as if there's something not working right inside my knees (both). When I started doing leg lifts my mother warned me not to lift too heavy because my knees could mess up (she has had knee issues since she was about 35). I don't know if that could also be a possible cause for this. Do you think this could be something serious or that could hinder my workouts?

Symptoms:  tightness, raspy, feels like my knees lightly crack on their own when I'm walking.