Weird period

Patient

Q: For the past two months i have had my period and it normally lasts 5 days and is 28day cycle im always on time but in Feb it was 3 days late and it only lasted 2 days and in Mar. it was 1 day late and it lasted for 2day not sure what is going on???

Doctor

A:   Hello, I understand your concern about your last cycle. Let me reassure you that most irregular periods are benign. Missed periods, too frequent periods, spotting, or bouts of heavy clotting and bleeding are usually caused by an underlying hormonal imbalance that is easily treated.Sometimes these hormones can vary in concentration for many reasons, the most common are anxiety or tension, and changes in diet like having too many carbohydrates or not eating too much lately can also decrease the days of your cycle. Another reason is exercise, when women exercise in a very intense routine sometimes missed periods can be noticed.In my opinion, you should not worry about this incident; there are no 100% regular cycles. However if you notice that the menstrual irregularities are becoming more frequent, you might want to consider consulting your Gynecologist to rule out other possibilities like Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. I wish you the best.