West Nile Virus.

Patient: I was wondering if I have the West Nile Virus. I have recently been bit by a mosquito and have become very tired, sick to the stomach, and achy. I feel like I have a fever and my back has been hurting. Do you have any ideas?

Doctor: I understand your concern about West Nile Virus, this is an infection transmitted by mosquitoes. Most people infected wi th the West Nile virus have no signs or symptoms, however about 20 percent of people develop a mild infection called West Nile fever which includes fever, headaches, body aches and fatigue. These usually last a few days, but sign and symptoms of encephalitis or meningitis which can also occur lasts for weeks, and certain neurological effects, such as muscle weakness, may be permanent. If your symptoms get worse within the next days and you notice neck stiffening and altered mental state, seek immediate attention.Your might then, ask for some tests to rule out West Nile infection, until then I would only suggest you to treat this condition as a simple viral infection that would finish its process by its own.