Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > What are the Chances of Pregnancy?

What are the Chances of Pregnancy?

Patient: Here us my question. I’ve been on nuvaring for over a year. On october 8th I took it out. October 12th I got my period. It ended on october 19. Octet 20th they the 23 rd had unprotected sex. On october 26 went to my dr and he did a blood test, came back negative for being pregnant. On oct 29 I gad sex again unprotected. On oct 31 went to my dr and he went ahead and have me my nv refill. My concern is could I still be pregnant?

Doctor: It is difficult for me to say whether you are pregnant or not. Pregnancy depends on a number of factors like the day you had sex in relation to your period, life span of the sperm and other factors. For example in a women who has a 28 day cycle, she usually ovulates on the 14th day of the menstrual period. Any unprotected sexual activity 3 days before of after the day of ovulation, greatly increases the chances of being pregnant. The only way to be sure of pregnancy is to do a urine pregnancy test the day of a missed period or after 2 weeks.