What are the measures I can take to reduce my blood pressure.

Q: I hav high BP its 140 and 90...pls tell me how to reduce it ....

A:   Hypertension is confirmed only after elevated blood pressure is confirmed at the initial visit and two follow up visits. The minimum BP for diagnosis of hypertension is 140 mmHg of systolic pressure and 90 mmHg or more of diastolic pressure.
Any therapy for hypertension should take into consideration your cardiovascular risk factors and if other disease are present such as diabetes and renal disease. The most important measure you can take is lifestyle modification. Weight reduction, salt restriction, adequate calorie intake, exercise and abstinence from alcohol and smoking are measures you can take to control hypertension without taking medications. If these measures are not sufficient enough to control your blood pressure, I would suggest you consult with your doctor to see if any underlying disease process is present. Also he may start you on an initial anti-hypertensiive for adequate control of your BP. Hope you find the information helpful.