What are the side effects of tongkat ali, when taken

Q: What are the side effects of tongkat ali, when taken without any consult from a doctor?
My boyfriend started taking it, because he thinks he is lacking testosterone, he is 38 years old, and yes sometimes he can get distracted during sex, most because of some insecurities with his erection. But not always.
So for some months he took it without me knowing about it, and I've noticed some changes in his behavior, maybe because he was hiding this to me.

Anyway he is saying that it's just for making him feel better, but as i've understand this pills helps to bust the level of testosterone, which as i know is not a healthy thing if it's not controlled.
Are there any real studies about it's beneficial effects?

Thank you