What are the signs of a stress fracture or fracture

Q: What are the signs of a stress fracture or fracture of the fifth metatarsal bone? I can't tell if it's just tendinitis or if I have a stress fracture. I have had a history of stress fracture in the lower parts of both legs and a history of sprained ankles. I don't want to make a trip to the doctor to be told it's just tendinitis.
It occurred after my four mile run yesterday around lunch time and hasn't stopped since. There's a lump on the right outer side of my right foot.

Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.com

Stress fracture will be extremely painful, and you won't be able to walk at all. A lump along with restriction of movement is more in the favor of tendinitis. You can try a course of anti-inflammatory like Advil and see whether it responds to that. If it doesn't then you can go ahead and get an x-ray evaluation done.

Hope this was helpful,