Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > What are the signs of a stress fracture or fracture

What are the signs of a stress fracture or fracture

Patient: What are the signs of a stress fracture or fracture of the fifth metatarsal bone? I can’t tell if it’s just tendinitis or if I have a stress fracture. I have had a history of stress fracture in the lower parts of both legs and a history of sprained ankles. I don’t want to make a trip to the doctor to be told it’s just tendinitis.It occurred after my four mile run yesterday around lunch time and hasn’t stopped since. There’s a lump on the right outer side of my right foot.

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.comStress fracture will be extremely painful, and you won’t be able to walk at all. A lump along with restriction of movement is more in the favor of tendinitis. You can try a course of anti-inflammatory like Advil and see whether it responds to that. If it doesn’t then you can go ahead and get an x-ray evaluation done.Hope this was helpful,Regards