What can i do to get rid of chest mucus?

Patient

Q: I started coughing the evening of 5th March, by the time morning came I had a sore throat, sneezing and was experiencing general aches. I came home that evening and my symptoms gradually worsened, I became hot, feverish, had a decreased appetite and overall just felt absolutely awful.
I now have a productive chesty cough whoch I have had for a couple of days (before this it was a dry hacking cough and i wasnt bringing up any flem)....now I cant stop the flem. Its worse at night when I lie down. Everything else has subsided, its just this damn cough. I am taking Benylin mucus cough syrup which has got something in to bring the flem up and drinking as much as I can (tea, hot water honey and lemon)....what else can I do as I am waking up at 4.30am every night for almost 2 hours just coughing and wheezing? Tried an extra pillow underneath but this isnt comfy, I already sleep with 2. I have also had some diarrhea every couple of days, not sure if this is due to the cold and flu tablets Ive been taking combined with the cough syrup or because my diet has been severely limited the past week. Please can someone help? I just want to feel back to normal.

Symptoms:  Coughing, sore throat, diarrhea
Doctor