What can I smoke besides tobacco?

Patient

Q: I enjoy the act of smoking. I find it relaxing, and there's definitely a social aspect to it as well. However, I don't particularly want to smoke tobacco or marijuana, as one is deadly and habit forming while the other is illegal. My question is if there is an herb that I can smoke that doesn't have the stigma these two do? I understand that smoking in and of itself is unhealthy, but if I'm using a different herb, could I lessen the effect some, if at all?

Doctor

A:   You have asked a very interesting question which I don't frequently come across. The only option that I might suggest are electronic cigarettes that are battery operated and release a vapor of nicotine every time you inhale. The device simulates the sensation of smoking. The vapor looks, tastes and feels very similar to tobacco smoke but contains no smoke. In actual practice I would never recommend smoking to anyone. Answering this question may provide information to smokers on alternative methods of nicotine delivery when they try to quit smoking. Hope this information helps. Take care.