x
190 Physicians Online

Question:

What causes Watery Eyes?

I wake up in the middle of the night and my left eye is leaking. Why is it doing that?

Answer:

Watery eyes occur when your body makes more tears than you lose through evaporation or drainage. Watery eyes or excess tearing may happen naturally in response to emotions or to cold, windy weather. Otherwise, persistent watery eyes can have many causes, including allergies and infections. A blocked tear duct is a common cause of watery eyes. Complications from dry eyes or eye irritation can trigger the release of a large amount of tears in an attempt to lubricate your eyes. The excess tears overwhelm the drainage system, causing watery eyes. Usually watery eyes resolve on its own and no treatment is required.

Sign In to join in the conversation.

You’re in good hands, meet ATD’s founding physicians.

• Board Certified GP
  • CMO ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Adjunct Professor at U Of T

• Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
  • Director ATD Health Network Inc.
  • Fellowship Training Atlanta, GA