Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > What could be causing my hair to fall off?

What could be causing my hair to fall off?

Patient: I am a 15 year old teenager living in America. Recently, I’ve been losing hair (or it’s thinning) and I don’t know why. It has been really embarrassing for me. I don’t know whether it is because of genetics (my dad’s family suffers from baldness) or because of masturbation. I have been masturbating to once, sometimes twice, or more in a day. I am trying to stop. I notice hair falling on my towel after I take a shower (when my hair gets wet). It will be very helpful if you can help me. Thank you so much for your time.

Doctor: Male pattern baldness is hereditary and it is because of the action of testosterone on hair follicles; it causes some of the follicles to regress and die. I don’t think masturbating has something to do with your hair loss. Less common causes of hair loss are hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism and fungal infections, among others. To be sure, you should see your doctor so you can be properly diagnosed. For male pattern baldness, treatment options are Minoxidil lotion, Finasteride, or both; hair transplant is one of the last resort options. I do hope I have answered your question and take care always.

Guest: Hi i am a 33 year old female. I was struck by lightning about 6 months ago. About a month after thar my hair started to fall out heavely. What can I do to prevent this.