What could be causing painful (stinging) and rather frequent urination?

Q: What could be causing painful (stinging) and rather frequent urination? I also feel like I need to urinate however when I go to the toilet nothing comes out

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.

To recapitulate: young female- on contraceptive pills - need to urinate but nothing comes out - painful (stinging) and rather frequent urination - Wants to know the reasons:

The reasons can be:
- Urinary tract infection
- Severe cystitis causing inflammation at the trigone, a part of the urinary bladder at the outlet of the bladder as this is very sensitive.
- Bladder stone- irritates the trigone
- Anxiety and stress can add on the symptoms
- Dehydration can add on the symptoms by causing concentrated urine.

Go for:
Send the Urine sample for culture and sensitivity examination before starting the antibiotic to get a proper report.
tests of blood, ultrasonography help in further diagnosis.
Get started on proper treatment.
plenty of oral fluids.

Hope this helps.