What Could be the Cause of Blood in my Urine?

Q: I am a 51 year old male in good health. I have experienced blood in my urine 3 times in the last 12 hours. There is some mild discomfort when this happens. Is this something I need to get checked out by my Dr?

A:   When blood is seen in the urine, an immediate and thorough evaluation is needed. There may be many causes leading to the presence of blood in the urine. Infection of the kidney or bladder is the most common cause. Stones in the kidney or bladder, any trauma to the area, and in tumors of the kidney and bladder can also present with hematuria (blood in urine).
It is important to consult your doctor who may order tests like a complete blood count, abdominal ultrasound, urinalysis, IVP, CT abdoment or cystoscopy. The treatment will depend on the cause of the blood in urine.

Guest: In pats exam, had blood in urine but not visible to the naked eye. Nothing was done. Now, seeing a reddish discoloration to wipe after urinating, and a feeling of slight pain. Getting feelings of needing to urinate and when I do, sometimes very little with feeling of slight pain.