What could be the cause of my father's sore throat?

Patient : What could be the cause of my father's sore throat? A month ago, he had an x-ray scan performed on his lungs to rule out any significant problem. Thankfully, nothing serious was except of a very minor atelectasis on his left lung. He went to the doctor and he gave him medication telling him that it will take some time to go away. He's been having a sore throat and cough that comes and goes. It's been a over a month now and he still has these symptoms. There is a slight change in his voice as well. Yesterday, he also experienced minor fever (about 37.5 C). What could be causing all of this? Is there any other issue? Could it just be a simple cold? Does he need to have any other examination? He's 53. Minor consumption of alcohol. Smokes rarely. Like one to two times a week and only one to two cigarettes. He's also worked in a foundry for over 20 years. He's retired now. Thanks in advance.
Doctor :   Hi. Thanks for your query. Read and understood history about your Father. X-ray chest shows minor atelectasis of le ft lung. Sore throat and cough for more than a month in spite of treatment. Slight change in voice. And minor fever today. Also noted his work in Foundry and occasional smoking and drinking habits. Considering the history, I would advise him the following: - An opinion of an ENT Surgeon for clinical evaluation, ENT Endoscopy to see for a focus of infection in the oral cavity or sinuses and so on. - CT scan of the chest and the sinuses, considering a cough of 1 month and positive X-ray chest finding. -Related tests of blood and urine. All these things together will help to get a diagnosis and a plan for proper treatment.