What Dietary aid is best for me?

Patient

Q: What is the best diet aid to help me with weight loss? I am almost 67 and have mobility problems, I walk with a Cain and weigh 345lbs.

Symptoms:  Shortness of breath and about once a month wake up because I can not breath.
Doctor

Thanks for choosing "Ask the Doctor" for posting your query.

Eating a healthy balanced diet is very important for maintaining good health. You may follow following points:
1. Eliminate sugar and starches. Stick to healthier carb sources like oats, fruits, rice or potatoes
2. Take a high protein diet. Include egg and meat if you can, if not, eat legumes, sprouts and pulses.
3. Add lots of fiber in your diet.
4. Drink water before your meal so that you take a small part.
5. Walk a little after eating.

These are all general considerations for a healthy life. However, I would suggest you to visit your doctor and get your blood sugar level and BP checked. Then a diet plan can be made with help of a nutritionist according to your needs and limitations.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

Wish you good health!