What dietary recommendations do you suggest to prevent pancreatic attacks?

Q: My son has severe pancreatitis attacks, from bad habits he engaged in several years ago. The questions i would like answered is, what foods should he avoid and what foods and or suppliments should he use , is too much protein bad for him for diggestion and is a diet rich in fruit and vegs the better road, also yoghurt a good thing or not. there is nowhere we can ask and get a fairly simple answer....

Symptoms:  Severe cramping pain into the stomach and back with constipation and or vomiting...

A:   Thanks for consulting us. In pancreatitis, diet should be adjusted such that body can absorb the nutrients better. Since pancreatic function decreased and it secrets the important enzymes that digest fat; diet should contain low fat and high fiber. Patients with pancreatitis should avoid high fat foods. This includes fried foods, most desserts, whole milk dairy products, fatty cuts of meats, nuts/seeds, and avocado. Also, they should limit fats like butter, salad dressings, sour cream, and mayonnaise, and foods with added sugar, like desserts and sweetened beverages. Alcoholic beverages should also be avoided. Patients can include grains, fruits and vegetables, lean meats (like fish, skinless poultry, eggs), beans, and low fat dairy products in their diet. For further details about the diet in detail, kindly consult nutritionist. Have a nice day.