What do the Blood tests for anemia signify?

Patient

Q: What does the problem this blood test indicate and,Is there a big problem? PCV : 22 Hemoglobin: 6 RBC: 3.7 MCV: 59.5 fl MCH: 16.5 pg MCHC: 27.7 Platelets: 540000 WBC: 6.700

Doctor

A:   From the blood test I gather that your hemoglobin is low (normal 12-16 g/dl), PCV (packed cell volume) and MCV (mean corpuscular volume) is also low. These tests indicate that you are suffering from iron deficiency anemia. This is the most common form of anemia and is caused when there is not enough iron in the diet or there is loss of blood (especially with heavy menstrual periods in females) or the body is not absorbing the iron.
You will have to see your family physician to diagnose the cause of your anemia. Taking iron supplements and diet rich with iron will build up the reserves in the body within 2-6 months.