What Does A High HCG Level Mean

Q: I went to the doctors the other day and they did a blood pregnancy test, well the doctor never told me i was or wasn't pregnant but i have the lap results and i don't know how to read them. This is what they say:

BETA HCG, QUANT (then it says "low, normal, high" and under high it has the number 10.

So im not sure what that means at all. can someone please help me. Thanks

A:   Hello I realize that you have a Pregnancy test taken. HCG is a hormone that is only produced in during Pregnancy. It is made by cells that form the placenta, which nourishes the egg after it has been fertilized and becomes attached to the uterine wall. Levels can first be detected by a blood test about 11 days after conception and about 12 - 14 days after conception by a urine test. In general the hCG levels will double every 72 hours. A result that is less than 5mIU/ml is considered negative for pregnancy, and anything above 25mIU/ml is considered positive for pregnancy.Since you had a value of 10, in my opinion your doctor did not tell the result yet because he wanted to confirm it by taking another test after a few days. If the values increase approximately doubling every day, then he could be in a better position to tell you that you are or not pregnant. I wish you the best.