What does blood in male sperm mean

Patient

Q: What does blood in male sperm mean

Doctor

A:   Welcome to Ask The Doctor.

Blood in semen is known as Hematospermia. The most common causes behind this is Prostate issues like Prostatitis, Stones in the urethra, Urethritis, Infections like CMV, TB, Trauma, Kidney dysfunction.
So, you need to get evaluated.
I would advise you to get :
1. Ultrasound Kidney, Urinary bladder and Prostate to rule out Prostatitis, Kidney stones.
2. Urine examination - to rule out urinary tract infection.
3. Urine for acid fast bacilli.
4. Fasting blood sugar.
If an infection is found, you will be treated with antibiotics. If you have any stones, you would require to get them treated too based on their size, and location.
Very important here is to rule out diabetes, so you should get tested for that too.

Share my opinion with your doctor.
Stay Healthy.