What does it mean when you have a light colored periods

Patient

Q: What does it mean when you have a light colored period and it stops that day then 2 days later a light col. Period comes again and the next day finally stops?

Doctor

A:   Hi,

The bleeding pattern you mentioned could be considered as hypomenorrhea, scanty flow during periods is called as hypomenorrhea.
It can occur due to many causes like hormonal imbalance due to like poly cystic ovary disease, stress and strain, weight changes etc, thyroid abnormalities, prolactin level abnormalities, hereditary, general conditions like anemia and deficiency of other nutrients, diabetes etc.
If there is any possibility of pregnancy, better to rule out implantation bleeding.
If hypomenorrhea repeats in next cycles, you may need evaluation.
In that case please do consult your doctor, get examined to access the built, hemoglobin levels, thyroid status, BMI etc.
Investigations like thyroid profile, gonadal hormonal profile, prolactin levels estimation, estimation of blood sugar levels and hemoglobin levels, ultrasound etc helps in finding out the causes of scanty flow.

Then treatment can be planned accordingly.
Take care.