What does Moderate blood and protein in urine on a

Q: What does Moderate blood and protein in urine on a dipstick test mean

A:   Hi.
Welcome to Ask the Doctor. Thanks for your query.

I have gone through your question in detail and understood your concerns.
Please find my observations below:

> Moderate protein in urine on a dipstick test means that your kidney is not effectively filtering protein and as a result some amount of protein is being excreted in urine.

> Mild protein is sometimes normally seen, but moderate protein may be suggestive of certain medical conditions like Diabetes, Hypertension, Glomerulonephritis.

> Moderate blood in urine on a dipstick test can be due to many reasons like:
- During menstrual period ( in case of females).
- Urinary tract infection.
- Diabetes, Hypertension.
- Renal calculi, ureteric calculi.
- Glomerulonephritis.

> Ideally speaking, if your dipstick test is not normal, then you can go for Urine- Routine examination and Microscopic examination to see if there is really any protein and blood in blood.

> If there is any protein and blood in urine, then try to discuss it with your PCP, so that he can know the cause for it through your history, physical examination and if required he may order few investigations like USG- ABDOMEN, Random blood glucose.

> As of now, please see that you have plenty of oral fluids daily. Do not take any analgesics without the prescription of your Doctor and avoid using public toilets.

Hope I have answered your question in detail.

Wish you good health.
Take care.