What does moderate non hemolyzed blood and moderate protein

Q: What does moderate non hemolyzed blood and moderate protein mean in my urine dipstick test mean. I have included a picture of the stick (note that the ketones are normal for me it is diet related)

A:   Hi.

Thanks for your query at the ATD for an opinion.

- Moderate non hemolyzed blood and moderate protein in urine on dipstick test means that there is certain underlying pathology which is causing the blood and protein to escape from the kidneys and is being excreted in the urine.

- The possible reasons may be:
- Certain Medical conditions like Diabetes, Hypertension.
- Urinary tract infection.
- Calculi in the kidney, Ureter.
- Glomerulonephritis.
- Pregnancy.
- During menstrual period.
- Infections.

- I recommend you to visit your PCP and discuss regarding the same, so that he can physically examine you and order certain investigations if needed to know the appropriate cause of moderate blood and moderate protein in urine, and then he can treat you accordingly.

Hope this answers your query.