What does really low cervix mean?

Patient

Q: I am 35 weeks pregnant and my doctor said my cervix is really low. does this mean i am close to labor and if not then what does it mean?

Doctor

A:   Low cervix may occur normally in some women with the progress in pregnancy or during the later months of pregnancy. Due to the hormonal effects, the cervix may move low or downwards in to the vagina, that may be easily felt or seen by your doctor during examination. However it does not necessarily indicate approaching labour and it could still be several weeks before delivery.  However softening of the cervix may indicate its readiness for dilatation and subsequent labor.