Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > What happened to my knee?

What happened to my knee?

Patient: I was sprinting and had to turn quickly as there was a wall in the way, and the outside of my left knee got hurt after that. It is slightly swollen and tender, and my knee tends to buckle towards the inside. I have a track meet in three days, should I be able to run in that if I do at home treatments?

Symptoms: Pain, Tender, swelling, buckle to the inside

Doctor: HelloThank you posting your query on ATDYou hurt your knee and now it is swollen.It is important that you give su fficient rest to the part for its recovery.Injury can lead to soft tissue damage including cushion ligaments inside the joint and it could be the reason that swelling has developed and you are experiencing pain.You are advised to see a doctor to examine your knees.Doctor may suggest MRI of the joint to assess whether there are any torn ligaments, inflammation etcDoctor may give you painkillers like Advil and may advise to use knee brace while walking.