Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > What happens after sustaining gastrocnemius tear?

What happens after sustaining gastrocnemius tear?

Patient: I need surgery on my calf muscle (Gastrocnemius) how long is the surgery and what happens afterward…how long until it heals…Can I resume almost normal activities with crutches?

Doctor: The length of the surgery will vary according to the severity of the tear and the proposed surgical procedure. Since the vast majority of calf muscle injuries heal without surgical intervention, I assume that you have suffered the most severe form of muscle injury (Grade 3 Tear). Recovery may take 3 or more months. Rehabilitation will include medications as well as physical therapy involving stretching and strength training. Your surgeon and physical therapist will advise you as about the level and kind of activities that are safe for you to do.