What happens if birth control pills are taken when pregnant?

Patient

Q: I missed my periods and i got a test done at home with the home kit, i had a dark line on the C and there was a light color line on the T, i was told early pregnancy stage thats ok and can be considered positive, is that true.....i have still not got my periods, i have taken meprate for 5 days and i have stopped it last thursday

Doctor

A:   Though many articles suggest that there is no need to be concerned about the pills causing birth defects, I would advise you to discontinue the meprate (Medroxyprogesterone) and consult your obstetrician as soon as possible. You can do a blood test to detect pregnancy if you are not sure if the urine pregnancy test was positive or not.