What is a biopsy count?

Patient

Q: My doctor says they want to do a biopsy count. what is that

Doctor

A:   Your question is actually too vague for me because you did not mention what kind of procedure was done. I would presume it was a bone marrow biopsy from your hip and a cell count will be done. The bone marrow contains precursor, immature cells that will eventually get released to the bloodstream and becomes mature blood cells. In bone marrow biopsy, a random sample of the bone marrow is extracted and smeared into slides. It will be processed and studied under the microscope and the precursor, immature cells will be identified and counted. There is a normal range for each kind of immature cell and a normal ratio. This will help aid in the diagnosis of blood cell disorders and other conditions too. I do hope I have answered your question and take care always.