What is an endplate infraction?

Q: I have scheuermann's disease - thoracic kyphosis, lumbar lordosis, lumbar pain and thoracic mechanical back pain.

I had an MRI and it says "widespread endplate irregularity at multiple endplate infraction is associated with thoracic kyphosis but no neural compression"

What exactly is an endplate infraction?

Symptoms:  Back pain

Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.com

Vertebral endplates the parts of the vertebra that connect to the vertebral discs. They are very fragile and prone to fracture. The vertebral endplates are the weakest component part of the spine. They can easily suffer minute fracture with traumatic forces transmitted up through the spine. This can be done in any number of ways by traumatic forces within the physiological range, such as sitting down hard on the bottom or even pulling at something, or minor back injuries.

Endplate irregularity means the sizes of the endplates for all the vertebras are not the same, and due to Scheuermann's disease, they have suffered constant wear and tear causing an alteration in the shapes. Infarction indicates a lack of blood supply, which has caused some tissues to die, and this is mostly a result of the constant wear and tear. Because of irregular shape, some parts of the endplate did not receive adequate blood for a long time, causing permanent cessation of blood flow to those areas. No neural compression rules out any nerve-related compression or injuries secondary to the disease.

Hope this was helpful,
Feel free to discuss further,