Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > What is causing my amenorrhea?

What is causing my amenorrhea?

Patient: For the past 5-6 months I have been on a diet of 750-1000 calories a day. I have finally reached I weight I am happy with and am slowly coming off the diet but for the past 2 months I have had no period. I’m not underweight though my BMI is at the bottom range of healthy (about 19 or 20). In the past 6 months I have lost around 30lbs. Could the cause of my amenorrhea be my weight loss and if I start to eat more will my periods return?

Doctor: Drastic weight loss, improper diet, increased exercise are common causes for no periods. Your periods would probably ret urn once you come off the diet plan completely and get back to your normal diet intake as before.Drastic weight loss, improper diet, increased exercise are common causes for no periods. Your periods would probably return once you come off the diet plan completely and get back to your normal diet intake as before.