What is causing my legs to hurt?

Patient

Q: What is causing my legs to hurt.Can it be lack of excercise or to much potasimium cause i never had any pains before and they hurt more if i sit to much. my right hand also hurts. please let me know.thank u

Doctor

A:   Claudication, which is defined as reproducible muscle leg pain, is one of the most common manifestations of peripheral vascular disease caused by atherosclerosis. Claudication occurs during physical activity and is relieved after a short rest. Pain develops because of inadequate blood flow. If you are a smoker and/or diabetic, PAD (peripheral artery disease) definitely must be rule out. The classic symptom of leg pain on walking that stops with rest is a good indication of peripheral vascular disease. However, only about 40% of people with peripheral vascular disease have intermittent claudication. The Rose criteria  is a test used by many medical professionals to screen for peripheral vascular disease is a series of 9 questions called the Rose criteria. The answers to these questions indicate whether you have peripheral vascular disease and how severe it is. Ankle/brachial index: One of the most widely used tests for a person who has symptoms suggesting intermittent claudication is the Ankle/Brachial Index (ABI). This test compares the blood pressure in the arm (brachial) with the blood pressure in the legs. In a person with healthy blood vessels, the pressure should be higher in the legs than in the arms. If necessary, the ABI will be followed by a Treadmill Exercise Test. To help locate blockages in your blood vessels, any of several tests, such as angiography, ultrasonography, or MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), can be used.Your health care provider will recommend ways that you can reduce your risk factors for atherosclerosis and peripheral vascular disease. Not all risk factors can be changed, but most can be reduced. Reducing these risk factors can not only prevent your disease from getting worse but can also actually reverse your symptoms (quit smoking, get active, eat nutritious, healthy weight, if you are diabetic control your blood sugar).