What is CK?

Patient: What is a C K blood test reading stand for?They said I had tissue in my blood. This is not something that I’m familiar with.Please tell me what the test is and how it works.

Doctor: CK is an enzyme called creatine kinase or creatine phosphokinase. CK can be measured in the laboratory and elevation of CK is an indication of damage to muscle. Elevated lab levels of CK can help diagnose several medical conditions including: rhabdomyolysis (severe muscle breakdown), myocardial infarction (heart attack), muscular dystrophy, myositis (inflammation of muscle), myocarditis (inflammation of heart muscle), malignant hyperthermia, and neuroleptic malignant syndrome.