What is cronual ectopic pregnancy and the treatment

Q: What is cronual ectopic pregnancy and the treatment

A:   Cornual ectopic is a rare and hazardous type of ectopiv pregnancy and fraught with the danger of poor maternal outcome. It is basically a pregnancy that is growing at an abnormal site (ectopic: meaning not in the womb) and specifically at the cornua which is the place where the tube opens into the uterus.
The cornua is a very rich in blood supply and there is a very high chance of internal bleeding and rupture from that site. Cornual ectopics pose a significant diagnostic and therapeutic challenge and carry a greater maternal mortality risk than other types of ectopic pregnancy. Because of the ability of the cornual end of the tube to distend, they tend to present relatively late, at 7–12 weeks of gestation.
Significant maternal internal haemorrhage leading to shock can rapidly result from cornual rupture.
The treatment of the same can be medical or surgical depending upon a lot of parameters. Medical management is done with methotrexate injections and surgical management is done either by laparoscopy or open methods. Surgical methods involve excision of the part of the tube and uterus in which the pregnancy is growing and this may sometimes involve loss of function of that tube.
In any case, if there is evidence of a cornual ectopic then one must not take it lightly and seek medical attention at the earliest.