What is gut feeding?

Patient

Q: What is gut feeding?

Doctor

Gut feeding is alternate feeding via the intestinal route when a person is unable to tolerate feeds by the oral route or is not allowed to take orally.
It is practised in many conditions like oral surgery, severe malnutrition, debility, palliative care in cancers, accidents, trauma cases, burns,throat and larynx surgeries, intestinal infections, severe vomiting and diarrhea, etc.
All the nutrients and electrolytes are passed on directly to the gut through a drip and the calories and nutrition value is kept recorded.

Hope this helped.