What is it called when you have mental break downs

Patient : What is it called when you have mental break downs for weird reasons and everytime it happens you get flashbacks of things that hurt you?
Doctor :   Hello, Thanks for the query. You seem to be suffering from a post-traumatic stress disorder superimposed on depressi on. You will need to consult a psychiatrist to come to a definitive diagnosis and specific treatment. The other probability could be generalised anxiety disorder, panic attack and mania. You may require counselling sessions, behaviour therapy and drugs like antidepressants, eg SSRIs etc. Be positive and reduce mental stress. Meditate and try yoga. It will help you. Hope this helped. Regards

Related Q&A

Q: I am a 56 yr old female who was on Imipramine 75 mg/daily for approx. 28 yrs. Doctor chose to switch me to Lexapro. ...

Q: My wife had fever a week back ,we just back from a holiday,she was fine the next day,but my daughter she had an earac...

Q: I took cocaine (not a regular user), I was drunk and silly me took it and I don't know what was in it and etc.. that ...

Q: My dad overdosed on Crestor, took 40mg instead on 5 mg, 3 hours ago. Is it serious enough to go to the ER

Q: Hello, can I take 5mg of diazapam after taking half a gram of cocaine?


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon