What is my aching knee pain?

Q: I tore my acl, and maniscus playing football two years ago, then tore another part of the maniscus about a year ago. not i'm regretting having a "hardcore" mindset after the surgurys by telling them the pain was better than it was. i went through theropy both times, and my doctors medications weren't helping. my aching pain isn't pretty tollerable and has gotten better over the months. but i have really bad random aching pains that are related to the pains of tearing the ligiments. by random i mean, after random workouts it'll hurt worse than others, after walks or long periods of standing to laying in bed or sitting in a chair. my problem is i dont know to get my doctor to take me serious.

A:    Considering your past medical history of menisci and ACL injuries,  you may be careful with what kind of “random workouts” you are performing, Repetitive stress injuries (RSIs) are injuries that happen when too much stress is placed on a part of the body, resulting in inflammation (pain and swelling), muscle strain, or tissue damage. This stress generally occurs from repeating the same movements over and over again, with no enough healing time so they are also called “overuse syndrome”. On the other hand, Knee pain is the most common presentation of patellofemoral syndrome The pain typically is located behind the kneecap and often shows during activities that require knee flexion and forceful contraction of the quadriceps (ei, during squats, bicycle, ascending/descending stairs, jogging or pendants). Pain may be worsen by sitting with the knee flexed for a long period of time, such as while watching a movie, hence leading to the terms "theatre sign" and "movie-goer's knee." The causes are diverse: Overuse (repetitive use or activity), overloading, and misuse of the patellofemoral joint. The suggested strategy for conservative treatment should be as follows: Physical therapy program (exercises and pain control with TENS, ultrasound, ice packs after exercises), anti-inflammatory medication (i.e.: “Aleve”, “Advil”), education  so  you understand which activities avoid because those can aggravate patellofemoral syndrome. Also, and very important, remark the need for extended adherence to the exercise regimen. The physical therapist should educate you about a home exercise program. Allow time for these conservative measures (ei: exercise program) to have an effect, usually 4-6 weeks is adequate for some resolution of symptoms.