Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > What is my risk for Syphilis, if my boyfriend has it?

What is my risk for Syphilis, if my boyfriend has it?

Patient: Hey.i m 23 yr old.i noticed a bean like swelling in my labium min0r 3 days back. I ws alright before. Had n0 sexual contact with any0ne exept kissing a VDRL positive bf,he has no symptoms of syphlis though. Its erythymatous with no discharge,no broken skin,mild painful.. Wht can it be? I wonder if its syphlis? Or bartholin cyst? What should i do? I to0k 4 days augmentin bt no improvement.. Please help me out

Doctor: Syphilis is a venereal disease, a STD ( sexual transmitted disease) caused by infection with a spirochete called:Trepone ma pallidum. It is transmitted by having sexual contact with an infected individual; it can also be acquired via exposure to infected blood.Regardless of the fact that your partner is free from infection or not after his treatment, you may still want to take a test for syphilis just to be safe. You must use condoms until a definite diagnosis has been made. Take care.