Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > What is the best course of Action for type 2 diabetes?

What is the best course of Action for type 2 diabetes?

Patient: My husband is type 2 diabetes and has not been able to keep anything down for over 24 hrs. If he isn’t vomiting it is leaving via his bowels. He refuses to see our GP. Is there anything I can do?

Symptoms: Diarrhea& vomiting

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.It seems like your husband has developed acute gastroenteritis leading to constant vomiting and diarrhea.Kindly make sure he is adequately hydrated, is drinking plenty of water, a minimum of 3-4 liters. You can give him Ondansteron 4 mg, before meals to reduce the nausea and vomiting sensation. For diarrhea he can take Tab. Loperamide, one tablet will control the frequency of diarrhea. Both the medicines are available over-the-counter and I advised since he does not want to see a GP.Hope this was helpful,Regards.